Tuesday 26 May 2009

Breasting the Tape

We had the dress rehearsal tonight. So my job as director is over (although I'm sure I won't be able to resist the temptation to poke my oar in once or twice before the final curtain comes down on Saturday night).

After today, the production is solely in the hands of the fabulous actors, crew and technicians who do such a wonderful job of running our shows. And I have no doubts that they will do a fine job.

The past few days have been hectic and very hard work. The set (which looks deceptively simple, both on paper and in the flesh) was actually very complicated. The plotting of props and furniture seems to have been more complex than any previous show I've attempted. The lighting plot is more ambitious.

But it's all been worthwhile, because the show has pulled together at the last minute - as it always seems to do - and will (I hope) be a great experience for people to watch.

I've had lots of negative thoughts about this show over the time we've been putting it together - but I think they're mostly unjustified now. Though we will only know for sure in 4 days time when it's all over; when we're pulling down the set and finding out what everyone really thought...

No comments: